A global survey (NFI Research) shows 67% of senior managers say their organization would be more productive if their staff communicated more often by personal conversations.
Personal discussion is the foundation of Communication. Once face to face conversations happen, trust and understanding are established. Then other media become more acceptable to the conversation.
The lost art is face to face conversations. We use texting, email and other social media to converse with others far more than face to face communication. We need to think about this from an effectiveness standpoint. Face to face lets you see emotions and reactions in a far more demonstrable way. Using media may not allow you to gauge your impact or your message’s reception.
Think in these 5 steps:
- Know your other party or parties before the meeting, coffee or presentation. Audience needs are important to openness and success. THINK, people in conversation like to talk about what interests them. They have concerns that dominate their inner brain and their reactions in conversation. That is why listening is a preamble to good conversation and successful meetings and presentations. It is very hard to add to a conversation if you don’t know the other parties needs, concerns and issues. Do a bit of homework; think and listen.
- Sincerity is the biggest compliment to listening for a conversation’s success. Everyone respects someone who listens with sincerity. Don’t over talk, do show facial acceptance to others’ points of view, echo and probe so they know you understood their need, intent or purpose of thought.
- If I am in a conversation, meeting or presentation, how should I engage purposefully? The best method is to engage with relevance of thought. Going to the heart of an issue without the motherhood story or rambling. Get to the point, communicate with clarity, speak the truth and the other party will see you listened, you are sincere and serious in your conversation.
- Enthusiasm – You should always operate with enthusiasm for the topic, the issue and yourself. Optimism and enthusiasm are catching. Even in serious or difficult conversations showing an attitude of forward thinking will do you well. It is very hard to gather consensus or get decisions if you are not enthusiastic and optimistic about the subject.
- The Naturalist – Being a good conversational partner to others is being natural, relaxed and confident. These attributes are welcomed in groups or by individuals as it leads to hope. Everyone wants to see the light at the end of the discussion and not the somberness of negativity. People want to know there is a better answer, solution and opportunity.
Engage in conversations one-to-one, one-to-many and in presentations with these 5 tips for success.
Remember context and purpose. When give and take conversations are required, there is no better way to communicate than face to face. If a personal discussion is not an option, use Skype or video conferencing, then telephone. If you are not concerned about the response, email, text messaging and memos can work.
Face to face is the preferred conversation method for success.